The Elemental Princesses of Etheria are the princesses charged, because of their connections to the Runestones, with maintaining the balance of Etheria through the Heart of Etheria. Only the six Elemental Princesses are connected to the Heart of Etheria. The rest of the princesses do not have Runestones and are Non-Elemental Princesses.
The elemental princesses regulate Etheria's weather and seismic activity, they are conduits of the Runestones' power. They are not the only beings or things bound to a runestone; for more information please see elemental page. The princesses harness Elemental power through the runestone and gain immense control over the natural powers possessed by the runestones.
As of Season Five there are six Elemental Princesses; Glimmer, Perfuma, Frosta, Scorpia, Mermista and She-Ra. They were deceived by Light Hope to be part of the Heart of Etheria Project, designated to channel the magic of the Heart of Etheria through the Runestones and send it to the Sword of Protection in order to manipulate it as a massive weapon.
- She-Ra: She-Ra is unaffiliated with a specific kingdom and known as the 'Princess of Power'. She is connected to the Sword of Protection. She is connected to the Sword's runestone. She has powers through the sword such as transformation and energy blasts.
- Glimmer: Glimmer is the princess, later queen of Bright Moon. She is connected to the The Moonstone. She has powers over light. When she became queen, her powers increased dramatically as her bond with the runestone became more stable. Before so, though she could access the magic, she had to recharge.
- Frosta: Frosta is the princess of the Kingdom of Snows. She is connected to the The Fractal Flake. She has powers over ice.
- Mermista: Mermista is the princess of Salineas. She is connected to the The Pearl. She has powers over water.
- Perfuma: Perfuma is the princess of Plumeria. She is connected to the The Heart-Blossom. She has powers over plant-life.
- Scorpia : Scorpia is the princess of the Fright Zone. She is connected to The Black Garnet. She has powers over lightning.
- Angella(formerly): While she was a queen in earlier seasons, Angella was connected to the The Moonstone making her an elemental. Her ability to connect the Moonstone was severed when Glimmer completed the Quest of Queens. She had powers over light.
- Fire princess (formerly): This unnamed princess was the princess of an unknown kingdom near what is a volcano called Mount Candila to the west of Bright Moon. Her name was forgotten long ago, she had a connection to The Fire Runestone which gave her powers over fire. She is not mentioned in the show, only in the book Legend of the Fire Princess. Her Runestone was never connected to the Heart of Etheria since it was corrupted long ago.
- Should a princesses' connection with her Runestone become disrupted she will suffer damaging consequences, implying that a princesses' connection to her Runestone is a fundamental aspect of their being.
- Notably, in Light Hope's line-up of elemental princesses there appears to be an empty space between Glimmer and the neon yellow figure. The reasons for this, if there is one at all, is currently unknown.
- In "Light Hope", Entrapta, whilst explaining her theories regarding the Runestones, refers to the "other elemental princesses." This comment implies that Etheria has many princesses with many powers but not all of them have a Runestone and thus are not all elemental princesses, making many of them a non-elemental princesses.